Review: The Umbrella Academy (2020)

 Series review: The Umbrella Academy (2020)

Seasons: 2

Episodes: 20

Description: 

Reunited by their father's death, estranged siblings with extraordinary powers uncover shocking family secrets -- and a looming threat to humanity.

 I watched both seasons right when they appeared on Netflix, and once I started I binged them. This story about a group of special children, who got adopted and grew up in the Umbrella Academy is original and well-written. Once I finished season one I couldn't wait for season two. Both seasons have a similar story but totally different settings. They have to prevent the world from ending.

At the beginning of both seasons, we know that there is a great threat to the world but we don't know what causes it. After season one, you might suspect what causes it in season two, only to be surprised. I am usually not a big fan of time travel but in The Umbrella Academy it didn't bother me. It's still complicated but somehow easier to understand and raises less questions than other famous time travel stories.

In the second season, racism plays a bigger part and I enjoy to see the efforts Allison makes to end it. What I also admire about all of the characters is that they are not perfect. They all have their own special flaw, some more clearly than others and that is what the viewers can relate to.

I would have loved to see a bit more about the cause of the sudden pregnancies that led to the group being born. We know there are many other children who were born like this but we almost know nothing about them, I think it would be interesting to learn more about them.

The Umbrella Academy is an excellent series. This is proven by the prizes the series got and by the ratings on other websites. I recommend this to everyone. You are missing out if you didn't watch it but it's not too late! Start watching right now!

Rating

The Umbrella Academy gets a rating of Dungeon Material.

One of the most intriguing series I have ever watched.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Stranger (2020)

Review: Barbarians (2020)

Review: To The Lake (2019)