Review: Chambers (2019)

 Series Review: Chambers (2019)

Seasons: 1

Episodes: 10

Description: 

A woman survives a heart transplant and begins to develop different personality traits.

Chambers is a series about a girl who gets the heart of another girl. The two girls have/had totally different lives, one is rich, white and very popular while the other is native American, lives in a bad neighborhood and doesn't have many friends.

A series like this could have gone many ways, it could have been a total cliché with things like falling in love with the same people the dead girl loved or developing a connection to the parents. It surprised me, although there were hints of those cliché things, there were many unexpected things as well.

What I like a lot about the series in general is how it shows the contrast between a rich, white family in the suburbs and a poor, Navajo family in a somewhat criminal neighborhood. The series shows many hints of native American culture, especially later on in the season. As I am no expert of the culture I can't say if these hints are accurate but I enjoyed seeing them.

The story is easy to follow, despite the flashback scenes and dream sequences, it's always clear what is going on. Throughout the whole series I was suspicious of just about every character, because I thought some kind of crime had to be involved and someone must have done it. This makes it very interesting to watch, some plot-twists ensure that those suspicions rise and fall all the time.

The season ends with a cliffhanger, not one that makes you go crazy, just one that makes you curious about season two. Except... There won't be a second season. When I read that, I got a bit mad, I would have loved to see more of the talented actress and this interesting story. So, if you start watching Chambers be warned, that one season is all there is.

Netflix had recommended the show to me numerous times and when I finally gave in, I didn't get disappointed. The show is interesting enough to make me binge it and it's not one of those shows that have your brain cracking trying to understand what's going on. I recommend it if you are bored and look for something easy. It's a good series but I have also seen better ones.



I have decided to give up on my rating system. I based this decision on a post on Reddit, where someone said viewers get biased because of the rating and not the actual review and I agree. Everyone should have that chance to form their own rating or opinion. However, feel free to express your opinion in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Stranger (2020)

Review: Barbarians (2020)

Review: To The Lake (2019)